Ayurvedic Treatment Process Explained : Step – by – Step
Ayurvedic treatment involves three stages. These three stages are designed in such a way to provide not only complete cure from the illness but to maintain the health, vigor and vitality. The stages involved are:
- Shodhan - This is the first stage of treatment where the doctor tries to cleanse the system. In a layman term it can be called the stage of detoxification.
- Shaman - Means eliminating the disease. This is the second stage where we target the specific disease and the eliminates the root cause that is giving rise to the condition
- . Rasayana - It is a rejuvenating process which starts after the shaman process. This is required to re-energize the body and to regain the lost vitality due to the illness.
- Satvajaya - It involves cleaning up the thought process or in other words it refers to meditation and mental hygiene.
The concept of Prakriti and Doshas
Ayurvedic treatment revolves around two fundamental basics - Prakriti and Dosha.
The unique physical and psychological characteristics of a person combine to give a specific constitution or prakriti. Different people have different types of prakriti and thus they have different moods, behavior and specific needs and characters.
The prakriti of a person is unchangeable and it remains the same for the whole life. However what you eat and and how to you digest and excrete can greatly influence your prakriti.
According to Ayurveda, universe is made up of five basic things and so are our bodies. They are:
- Fire and
These five basic elements combining in a specific proportion in our bodies to form "dosha". These "dosha" help our bodies do their day to day tasks and influence every aspect of our health. There are three doshas explained by the manuscripts:
- Vata Dosha
- Pitta Dosha
- Kapha. Dosha
Vata controls the mind, breathing functions, blood circulation, heart and waste excretion (bowel). It is believed to be the most prominent of the three doshas. If you have predominant Vata dosha you are more susceptible to arthritis, asthma, anxiety, heart problems and skin problems.
Pitta plays role in digestive system, metabolism of the food and controls the appetite. People with predominantly Pitta dosha are emotional, get angry quickly, have dry skin, have plenty of body hairs, acidity and high blood pressure.
The last dosha is Kapha which controls body development, muscular growth, strength of the body, weight and immunity. A person with predominant Kapha nature may have asthma and breathing difficulty, cancer, high blood sugar, nausea, indigestion and obesity
Ayurvedic First Aid Treatments
- Acne: Apply a paste of turmeric and sandelwood powder to the affected area. You can use about half a teaspoon of each powder and mix it with water or rose water to make a paste.
For internal treatment take a cupful of aloe vera juice two times a day until the acne clears.
- Asthma: Combine Licorice and ginger herbs and drink them as a tea , about half a teaspoon of both herbs for one cupful of water. You can also have some onion juce, mixed with one teaspoon of honey and a pinch of black pepper.
- Backache: Apply a paste of ginger and eucalyptus oil to the affected area.
- Bad breath: Drink half a cup of aloe vera juice twice a day and eat fennel seeds. Cleanse the mouth with licorice powder until freshness is restored.
- Bleeding : External - Apply ice or sandelwood paste on the bleeding area.
Internal- Drink warm milk with saffron and turmeric powder ( half teaspoon each) .
- Boils: Apply cooked onions as a poultice or a paste of ginger and turmeric powder directly to the boil. This will bring the skin boil to a head.
- Burns: Make a paste of fresh aloe vera gel mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder or apply ghee or coconut oil.
- Cold: Boil some ginger powder in water and inhale the steam . Apply some Eucalyptus oil to the sides of the nose , which will help to relieve congestion. You can also inhale calamus root powder into each nostril.
- Constipation: Drink one glass of water boiled with one tablespoon of flax seed at bedtime or a glass of hot milk with one teaspoon of ghee.
- Cough: Gargle one glass of warm water to which a pinch of salt and two pinches of turmeric have been added. If there is mucus production, take half teaspoon of ginger powder, one pinch of clove powder and one pinch if cinnamon powder on one cup of boiled water as a tea.
- Diarrhoea: Mix equal parts of yogurt and water and add some fresh ginger.
- Earache: Place three drops of garlic oil in the ear or a mixture of onion juice and honey.
- Ears - ringing: Place three drops of clove oil into the affected ear.
Exhaustion - Heat: Drink a glass of coconut water or grape juice. Or cook a few dates in water, blend them and drink.
- Eyes - burning : Introduce four drops of pure rose water into the affected eye. Fresh aloe vera gel may also be used. You can also apply castor oil to the soles of the feet.
- Gas - abdominal : Mix one pinch of baking soda with one cupful of water and the juice of one-half lemon and drink.
- Gums - bleeding : Drink lemon juice or massage gums with coconut oil.
- Head ache: Sinus headache can be relieved by under going sudation after applying gingelly oil mixed with camphor. Temporal headache can be relieved by the application of sandalwood paste to the temples.
- Hemorrhoids/Bleeding type: Drink one-half cup full of aloe vera juice 3 times daily. Drink one teaspoon sandal wood paste mixed with milk twice daily.
- Hemorrhoids/non bleeding: Boil 50 grams onion with 150 ml milk and drink twice daily.
- Hiccups: Do pranayama/take deep inhalations and exhalations
- Indigestion: Take one cupful of onion juice with one half-teaspoon honey and one-half teaspoon full of black pepper.
- Muscle strain: Apply gingelly oil mixed with camphor or rock salt over the affected area
- Over eating: Boil 2 cupful of water with I teaspoon of coriander powder and 1 teaspoon ginger powder. Drink this one-tablespoon each at an interval of 1 hour.
- Poison bites & stings: Apply sandal wood/turmeric paste to the affected area
- Shock: Inhale fresh broken onion or inhale calamus root powder
- Sleep (lack): Drink one cup full of warm cow's milk with rock candy/honey.
Gently massage the soles & scalp with sesame oil mixed with equal quantity of ghee.
- Sore throat: Gargle with hot water mixed with one forth teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
- Tooth ache: Apply 3 drops of clove oil to the affected tooth. Gargle with warm sesame oil.